Two Straws

Today my two-year-old son, Levi, came over to my desk and asked for "Two __aws".
I looked up, "Two calls?"
I asked, puzzled. "No, __aws." he replied.
"Balls?" I asked.
"No, __aws." he replied again.
I looked at him. He was holding a small blue plastic cup I had just given him. It had a little over an inch of water in it and one yellow straw. Straw.
"Two straws?" I asked.
My son broke into a smile and said "Yes, aws!" I gave him another straw, which he put in his cup and then held it next to me and said "Drink with me, Mom."
So I did. I kneeled on the floor and sipped water slowly out of a plastic cup while my son, drank from his straw with a big smile.
Then he asked for more water and invited me to sit with him on the couch and watch a movie. With our two straws.
This is a little moment. Just a sliver of life. The floors are covered with toys. The baby is crying. But my son wants to share his cup of water and connect with me, for just a moment before he jets off on his next imaginary adventure or some other task steals my attention. So today, I know that having two straws might be the most valuable possession of the day.


Comments

Popular Posts